We do this in a number of ways:
- Questionnaires – students are surveyed at different times during their school careers for their opinions on a wide range of school matters including behaviour in class, effectiveness of anti-bullying procedures and quality of teaching. Their responses help to inform school self-review and improvement. This is how we arrived at the choice of uniform and the school name.
- School Leaders – as part of our focus on the “whole person”, students are given extensive leadership training and opportunities from year 9. Those who successfully become school leaders have greater responsibilities, contributing to decisions affecting the school.
- Year and school councils – a boy and girl from each form group meet regularly to represent the views of their form and year group in discussions about school matters.
- Headteacher’s forum – two students from each form meet with the headteacher for them to put forward ideas for improvement as well as ask questions about the running of the school. This forum is also used to test out potential developments.
- Assisting with the appointment of staff – A number of our students are trained to interview applicants and provide feedback to the appointment panel to help inform the decision making process.