Head of Faculty: Mr P Johnson
Throughout Key Stage 3 students are taught PE in mixed ability groups. Students receive 2 hours of PE a week. Assessments are completed every half term to track and monitor the progress of students in each subject. Feedback is provided to students in terms of the skills they are working towards or have mastered. Targets for further improvement are then shared with students.
At Key Stage 4 PE is taught as a GCSE option. Students that opt to take PE in Key Stage 4 have 3 hours a week and are working towards one GCSE qualification. This consists of two practical lessons and one theory lesson. They follow the OCR GCSE PE (J587). They will be awarded a grade 1-9 following their GCSE examinations in the summer of Year 11. Assessments to track progress are set regularly throughout each half term, with feedback being related to GCSE criteria to highlight areas of strength and development throughout the course.
Pupils can also opt to take GCSE Dance. They follow AQA GCSE DANCE (8236). The course allows pupils to develop their performance (30%), choreography (30%) and Dance appreciation (40%). They will be awarded a grade 1-9 following their GCSE examinations in the summer of Year 11.
Throughout their time at Kirkby, students are taught the following key skills:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the factors that underpin performance and involvement in physical activity and sport
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the factors that underpin performance and involvement in physical activity and sport
- Analyse and evaluate the factors that underpin performance and involvement in physical activity and sport
- Demonstrate and apply relevant skills and techniques in physical activity and sport
Analyse and evaluate performance
Overview of the PE Curriculum
The topics students cover throughout Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4 are outlined in the table below:
|Year||Autumn 1||Autumn 2||Spring 1||Spring 2||Summer 1||Summer 2|
|10||Anatomy/Physiology and Practical||Socio Cultural Influences and Practical||Health Fitness and Well being and Practical||Sports Psychology and Practical||Performance in PE||Performance in PE|
|11||Anatomy/Physiology and Practical||Socio Cultural Influences and Practical||Health Fitness and Well being and Practical||Sports Psychology and Practical||Performance in PE and Practical||Performance in PE and Practical|
Links to GCSE Exam Board Specifications
www.ocr.org.uk/gcsephysicaleducation The specification code for GCSE PE is J587
www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/dance/gcse/dance-8236 The specification code for GCSE Dance is 8236
Include details of any extra-curricular activities including:
- Revision sessions – Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday after school
- Clubs and Activities – Clubs change termly so keep a check on club posters and team fixtures.
- Teams –We run teams in the following sports: Football, Netball, Handball, Basketball, Badminton, Cricket, Rounders and Athletics.
|Mr P Johnson||Head of Faculty|
|Miss N Hamer||Deputy Head of Faculty|
|Miss K Soper||Assistant Headteacher and PE Teacher|
|Miss L Morrin||Head of Year 9 and PE Teacher|
|Miss S Dowd||Head of Year 10 and PE Teacher|
|Mr J Webb||Assistant Headteacher and PE Teacher|
|Mr D Harvey||PE Teacher|